Postfix and MailScanner logger

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Mon Nov 9 12:01:58 GMT 2009

Alvaro Marín wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jason Ede escribió:
>> I've been thinking of writing something very similar for use here to bring together from all our mail servers with an additional field of receiving server name...  Any chance can post to the list if you manage to do this?

Having written something very similar myself - from experience I can say
that PHP + MySQL/PostgreSQL is very limited to scalability; even a low
volume system will generate 300,000 records per day from a single server
if you record every connection and status.  Scaling this for even a
medium volume site with 20-30 connections per second over a couple of
machines is extremely difficult.

My personal recommendation would be to look at Splunk -
http://www.splunk.com/ as it's designed with exactly this in mind (it's
also free for < 500Mb of index volume per day - so you can try it and see).

Simply add a single CustomFunction to MailScanner to log the extra lines
that you'll need to syslog and this should be able to do everything you
require.

Regards,
Steve.