MCP doesn't work in 4.74?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at mailscanner.open.source.it
Sat Nov 7 18:01:36 GMT 2009

Hi.

I'm (still) trying to get MCP to work in MS 4.74.16, and continuing to fail.

My requirement is to identify emails which contain any word or phrase from a
list of "banned words", and either modify the subject line to warn the
recipient before they open the email, or else quarantine the email and bounce
a message back to the recipient to tell them it hasn't been delivered.

I was advised on this list to use SpamAssassin Rule Actions instead of MCP,
however I cannot see that it is possible to get it to do either of the above
actions, and therefore SARA doesn't appear to do what I need.

I'm also using MailWatch on the machine, which gives a nice summary of MCP
matches, whereas it doesn't tell me anything about SA Rule Actions, therefore
MCP very much seems to be what I need (even if it is a bit inefficient).

I've used MCP before in earlier versions of MailScanner, and I believe I know
how to write the appropriate SpamAssassin rule/s to pick up the emails I want
to identify.  I've eliminated my ineptness at writing SA rules as a cause of
the problem by using a slightly modified version of the GTUBE test as one of
my "bad word" matches.

Putting the rules into a file ending in .cf in /etc/MailScanner/mcp (I've
checked that this is the %mcp-dir% on this machine) and turning on MCP Checks
(as well as Log MCP) does not work.

The log file shows me "MCP Checks: Starting", but that's it.  The rules do not
appear to be used, the test emails certainly aren't matched, and I cannot see
either how/where to debug this further, or what I've missed in trying to get
it working.

Please can someone either tell me:

 - MCP is known to be broken in 4.74, so I stand no chance of getting it
working

 - MCP works in 4.74, with an example of how to make it work

 - how to debug MCP to see where it's falling over in my configuration

I'm using 4.74.16 because that's the current Debian package.  If I need to
install something more recent I can, but it's not such a clean solution for
future maintenance, so I'd want to be sure it'll solve my problem before I
install from a non-packaged version.

I hope someone can help,

Antony.

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.