Issue after CentOS upgrade to 5.4 using yum/rpm for perl modules

Edward Prendergast edward.prendergast at netring.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 13:27:34 GMT 2009

Jason Ede wrote:

<snip>
>> After yum upgrades downgrading perl packages below the minimum version
>> requirement for MailScanner my process to fix has usually been:
>>
>> 1) Identify problem packages from MailScanner errors
>> 2) Add these to yum exclude list
>> 3) Reinstall MailScanner stable and allow it to force the packages back
>> up to the right version
>>
>> As shown above this approach hasn't worked this time.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Edward
>>

> Obtain a rpm of latest Scalar::Utils and install that... Will then be fine

Thanks for the response.

Scalar::Util now appears to be included in perl core (see below) which
means I get transaction errors if I try to install it again (via yum
install perl-Scalar-Util). What's the preferred method for handling
this? Should I run yum localinstall perl-Scalar-Util and add it to the
yum exclude list so it doesn't get removed in a subsequent update?

perl-Scalar-List-Utils-1.21-1.el5.rf.i386 : Common Scalar and List
utility subroutines
Repo        : rpmforge
Matched from:
Other       : perl(Scalar::Util)

perl-Scalar-List-Utils-1.19-1.el5.rf.i386 : Common Scalar and List
utility subroutines
Repo        : rpmforge
Matched from:
Other       : perl(Scalar::Util)

4:perl-5.8.8-27.el5.i386 : The Perl programming language
Repo        : base
Matched from:
Other       : perl(Scalar::Util)

4:perl-5.8.8-27.el5.i386 : The Perl programming language
Repo        : installed
Matched from:
Other       : Provides-match: perl(Scalar::Util)

Thanks,
Edward

is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it, any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or
publication of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify
us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from your
computer.