Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 26 17:39:44 IST 2009

On 26/05/2009 17:12, Robert Lopez wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Julian Field
> <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>  wrote:

>> On 26/05/2009 16:42, Robert Lopez wrote:

>>> Glenn: Thank you I was not aware of gmane.
>>>
>>> Julian: "For starters it won't work with the latest version of ClamAV, ..."
>>> I am assuming the "it" you refer to is the debian package 4.55.10. correct?
>>>

>> Yes.
>>
>>> How far back must I go with ClamAV? It looks like the current is
>>> 0.95.1, would I go back to 0.95.0 or earlier?
>>>

>> Something earlier than 0.94, so 0.93 would be the latest that will be
>> supported by a MailScanner that old.
>> And I strongly suspect the current ClamAV signatures won't work
>> correctly with 0.93 any more, they don't tend to support more than one
>> or two previous versions on the whole.
>>
>> Jules
>>
>> - --
>> Julian Field MEng CITP CEng
>> www.MailScanner.info
>> Buy the MailScanner book at www.MailScanner.info/store
>> Follow me at twitter.com/JulesFM
>>
>> MailScanner customisation, or any advanced system administration help?
>> Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM
>>
>> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
>> PGP public key: http://www.jules.fm/julesfm.asc

>> --
>> believed to be clean.
>>
>> --

> Let me back up. My senior administrator will approve my testing
> MailScanner on any of RHEL, Debian, or Ubuntu and he insists we use
> Postfix not Exim.
> He also insists we must use Spamassassin, ClamAV, and Anomy.
> Given those constraints, on which of those OS will MailScanner perform best?

I would go for RHEL as that is the main distribution I work with and
build for. I can assist you with far more issues on RHEL than any other
distribution. Both the Debian and Ubuntu builds are done by other people
and, let's say, I have a few problems with the quality and timeliness of
those builds.

I would get ClamAV from rpmforge (or packages.sw.be), and I always
install my own build of SpamAssassin from my ClamAV+SpamAssassin package
(you tell it not to install ClamAV when it asks you). I know nothing
about Anomy, so you're on your own there.

Postfix is fine, I strongly recommend you use the latest beta of
MailScanner as 4.76 had one or two minor Postfix problems which I have
since fixed. I will release a new stable release of 4.77 on 1st July
anyway, and that will be very close to the current beta as it is working
so nicely.

Hope that helps you!

If you have any problems, questions, requests or suggestions, please do
get in touch straight away and I will help you as much as I can. Others
here can help you with Postfix questions better than I can, as I use
sendmail myself.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng