(2nd Request) Disable scanning for a client that connects via SMTP-AUTH

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Thu May 21 05:54:04 IST 2009

Gary... With all due respect. Assuming that the mail coming from your servers is not affected by something bad is a mistake. Not to mention, spam that uses your domain as email addresses in the to / from to get around just the kind of scenario is also makes your strategy a mistake.

What harm besides having your server do some work would be caused by having all the mail scanned?

On Thursday 21 May 2009 04:50:33 Gary Faith wrote:
> I am running MailScanner 4.75 on x86_64 and Sendmail 8.13.  I have a situation where I am relaying e-mail for a trusted mail server with a dynamic IP who connects to my mail scanner via SMTP Auth.  I don't have a need for scanning the outbound e-mail from this server but I do need to have the inbound mail scanned.  So I figured I would add the domain to scan.messages.rules.
>
> From:    domain.com   no
>
> This had the effect of stopping scanning of the mail which was desired  but now spam is coming in with the From addresss the same as the To address like: xyz at domain.com to xyz at domain.com.  These messages are not being scanned and getting passed through due to the rule above.  Obviously, I didn't think this through correctly and I need a better solution.
>
> What is required:
> 1.  Outbound mail from the server with a dynamic IP which authenticates to the mail scanner via SMTP Auth = Not Scanned.  I wouldn't care if it just goes from sendmail-in to sendmail-out and not even go through mailscanner but I don't know if that is possible.
> 2.  All other mail scanned (like normal).
>
> I know I can't base a rule on the IP address since it is dynamic but I am unsure of any other way to accomplish this.  Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Faith

believed to be clean.