apparently not sending or receiving emails

Dave Filchak submit at zuka.net
Wed May 20 15:19:31 IST 2009

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> 2009/5/20 Dave Filchak <submit at zuka.net <mailto:submit at zuka.net>>
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>     Today a problem arose in my mail setup that I am trying to track
>     down. I can no longer send or receive emails.
>
>     I think it has something to do with mysql but I have had little
>     luck so far.
>
>     Mysql is running and I can log in and select and search tables.
>     But, as you will see below, the logs indicate that there are
>     issues connecting through the mysql.sock. You will also note that
>     the path it is trying to connect to is /var/run/mysql.sock while
>     the actual location is at /var/run/mysqld/mysql.sock
>
>     Here is my systems specs:
>
>     2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Mar 9 06:23:23 GMT 2006 x86_64 x86_64
>     x86_64 GNU/Linux
>     This is CentOS release 4.3 (Final)
>     This is Perl version 5.008005 (5.8.5)
>
>     This is MailScanner version 4.74.15
>     Module versions are:
>     1.00    AnyDBM_File
>     1.20    Archive::Zip
>     0.22    bignum
>     1.03    Carp
>     1.41    Compress::Zlib
>     1.119   Convert::BinHex
>     0.17    Convert::TNEF
>     2.121   Data::Dumper
>     2.27    Date::Parse
>     1.00    DirHandle
>     1.05    Fcntl
>     2.73    File::Basename
>     2.08    File::Copy
>     2.01    FileHandle
>     1.06    File::Path
>     0.20    File::Temp
>     0.78    Filesys::Df
>     1.35    HTML::Entities
>     3.56    HTML::Parser
>     2.37    HTML::TokeParser
>     1.23    IO
>     1.14    IO::File
>     1.13    IO::Pipe
>     2.04    Mail::Header
>     1.87    Math::BigInt
>     0.20    Math::BigRat
>     3.05    MIME::Base64
>     5.427   MIME::Decoder
>     5.427   MIME::Decoder::UU
>     5.427   MIME::Head
>     5.427   MIME::Parser
>     3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
>     5.427   MIME::Tools
>     0.11    Net::CIDR
>     1.25    Net::IP
>     0.16    OLE::Storage_Lite
>     1.04    Pod::Escapes
>     3.05    Pod::Simple
>     1.08    POSIX
>     1.19    Scalar::Util
>     1.77    Socket
>     2.13    Storable
>     1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long
>     0.18    Sys::Syslog
>     1.26    Test::Pod
>     0.7     Test::Simple
>     1.9707  Time::HiRes
>     1.02    Time::localtime
>
>     Optional module versions are:
>     1.32    Archive::Tar
>     0.22    bignum
>     1.82    Business::ISBN
>     1.10    Business::ISBN::Data
>     1.08    Data::Dump
>     1.814   DB_File
> [...]
Martin,

Yes, mysql was running but it turns out it was a problem with the
mysql.sock file. I am still scratching my head over this one but the
mail system used to look for this file at /var/run/mysqld/mysql.sock
However, my ISP had a huge problem with their UPS backup generators and
power went down rather abruptly yesterday. When the server came up, it
was looking for this file at /var/run/mysql.sock. And, for the life of
me, I could not get it to look for it in the original location. So, I
finally gave up and moved the location to /var/run/ However, I had to
set the permissions of that directory to allow write access for the
world ... possibly not a good thing. Is there a stand location for this
and what permissions are normal.

At any rate .. I do have mail flowing again but would love to know why
the location shifted. Probably a misconfiguration somewhere.

Dave