AW: SV: Perl problems on Fedora 9 SOLVED

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 7 20:27:08 IST 2009

on 5-7-2009 12:14 AM Anthony Cartmell spake the following:
>> Not necessarily true at all, as the Perl build system in Fedora 10 is
>> totally broken and this will be caught well before it makes it into
>> RedHat Enterprise Linux 6. They can hardly miss it :-)
>
> It might be, but it hasn't stopped me installing MailScanner on Fedora
> 10 :)
>
> It just needed the basic packages to be pre-installed from the Fedora
> repos (where someone has managed to build them OK) before letting
> MailScanner install any newer versions it needs.
>
> [FWIW I've just shut down a server (not owned by me) that had been
> running FC5 until this last week. Although it was way past EOL it was
> still running quite happily :) I have another server running FC6 that is
> also quite happy, but will be upgraded soon (needs new hardware too).]

Just because an old distro is happy doesn't mean it is secure. Once you are
EOL, you have to try and find and fix all the security holes yourself. If a
system is locked down behind a firewall you might be OK, but if it is internet
facing, you are just playing russian roulette. You just haven't hit the loaded
chamber yet!