Changelog 3/5/2009 New in Version 4.76.24-3

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Wed May 6 21:02:06 IST 2009

I understand you are tired of this conversation. Me too :). So I will quit with this last one. I agree there is a failure of communication but it isn't due to a lack of understanding, but rather disbelief.

Please read what I have to say one more time.  A little more patience an I am outta your hair with this.

I do realize that you are trying to be helpful.

Please realize that I too am trying to be helpful.

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 16:47:33 Julian Field wrote:

> On 06/05/2009 14:31, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 May 2009 14:11:27 Julian Field wrote:
> >
> >> No, I'm talking about all the RPMs installed by install.sh that are
> >> required by MailScanner. Many of these are architecture-independent. If
> >> I don't give them a BuildArch and know the BuildArch that it is going to
> >> use, how can I possibly know which directory to find them in?

Because there is a default Buildarch parameter already set in the rpm build environment.

How can you discover what it is by running the following command in the shell and consquently in your bashscript.

rpm --showrc | awk '/^build arch/ {print $NF}'

Try to run it please in a console. Please.,, this isn't a question of a lack of understanding. It is a question of disbelief.

Please believe what I'm writing to you here.

If you don't specify Buildarch in your spec file the final rpm will be built in the folder defined by default Buildarch

You define Buildarch as noarch and consequently the built rpms are placed in

~/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch

If you don't specify then it will be

~/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64
~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386
~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i586

etc depending on the the default environment. How would install.sh know where to look. An example is defined below wih the perl-File-Temp-0.20-4.

The example assumes a modified spec file with the Buildarch pararmeter removed from the file. And the rpm builds successfully which it does. On an x86_64 platform the final rpm is called.

perl-File-Temp-0.20-4.x86_64.rpm

example of the contents of the bash script would be

DefaultRPMBuildArch=$(rpm --showrc | awk '/^build arch/ {print $NF}')

rpm -Uvh ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/$DefaultRPMBuildArch/perl-File-Temp-4.$DefaultRPMBuildArch.rpm

Please note the substitution of the variable $DefaultRPMBuildArch as it holds the value of the default Build Arch

Thanks for your time an patience.

Eli Wapniarski

believed to be clean.