MailScanner seems broken on FreeBSD using perl > 5.8.8

mog lists at elasticmind.net
Wed May 6 12:29:57 IST 2009

Greetings everyone,

I've just recently upgraded to MailScanner version MailScanner-4.75.11
using perl-5.8.9_2 on a FreeBSD 7.1 system, and sadly the server is
unable to process mail. When MailScanner tries to run it reports the
following type of error:

MailScanner[42585]: Could not use Custom Function code
/usr/local/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MyExample.pm, it
could not be "require"d. Make sure the last line is "1;" and the module
is correct with perl -wc (Error: Insecure dependency in require while
running with -T switch at
/usr/local/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 623.)

The same error is reported for all of the following functions:
ZMRouterDirHash.pm, SpamWhitelist.pm, MyExample.pm, DavidHooton.pm,
LastSpam.pm, GenericSpamScanner.pm, CustomAction.pm,
Ruleset-from-Function.pm.

A helpful fellow suggested I check with some perl people to see what the
-T switch of perl means, and then ask on the mailing list for some more
information. Some perl people said the -T is a 'taint mode' designed to
perform additional safety/sanity checks on the code, and apparently the
Function modules are using, or "require"-ing, some user provided data;
which is all in turn causing MailScanner to break on FreeBSD systems
running perl versions higher than 5.8.8. This has the effect of
preventing any FreeBSD servers running MailScanner from being able to be
updated - kind of crippling them :(

Unfortunately I don't know enough about perl or what MailScanner is
doing with these functions in order to solve the problem and make
MailScanner work on FreeBSD again. If anyone could please help with this
it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Moggie.