Validating Email addresses

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Tue May 5 18:55:43 IST 2009

We are getting a great deal of Spam bypassing both Postini and Mail
Scanner due to a discrepancy between how these two products define an
email address and the way Exchange does. The two scanning products
recognize emails with a pipe character "|" at the beginning of the
address as both valid and part of the email address. I believe this is
in line with the email standards. Exchange, othe the other hand simply
ignores the character. So a message sent to me at mydom.com and
|me at mydom.com are seen as two different addresses by the scanning
systems and as a single address by Exchange.

I have tried with minimal success to check for the pipe using sendmail
rules. I have it stopped but it is stopping more than it should. I would
like to stop it with MailScanner. I have tried what appears to be
obvious to me but so far I have not hit upon the magic combination of
options to make this work. Has anyone else encountered this situation
and come up with a solution?