sender report weirdness

Brent Addis brent.addis at spit.gen.nz
Tue Mar 24 22:01:20 GMT 2009

Hi,

I've got a little bit of funniness going on with the sender reports (And
I guess a feature request?)

First off, just in case it makes any difference, my mail setup is split.
IE, I have a couple of incoming mailservers (they don't relay mail
externally from our clients) and a couple of outgoing (They don't handle
incoming mail at all from outside sources)

When one of our clients send an email via the outgoing smtp servers, and
the file is blocked, the recipient is notified, rather than the sender.
I only noticed this today because I sent a file that was blocked,
however it may have been going on for ever...

Funny thing is, this is the behaviour that I was on the incoming mail
server, as our clients want to know if they are getting anything blocked
so they can release it (Feature request? I don't see an option for this)

However, on the outgoing servers, our clients also want to be notified,
for the same reasons as above.

Now, I have the following set for my sender reportng:

# Do you want to notify the people who sent you messages containing
# viruses or badly-named filenames?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Notify Senders = yes

# *If* "Notify Senders" is set to yes, do you want to notify people
# who sent you messages containing viruses?
# The default value has been changed to "no" as most viruses now fake
# sender addresses and therefore should be on the "Silent Viruses" list.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Notify Senders Of Viruses = no

# *If* "Notify Senders" is set to yes, do you want to notify people
# who sent you messages containing attachments that are blocked due to
# their filename or file contents?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Notify Senders Of Blocked Filenames Or Filetypes = yes

# *If* "Notify Senders" is set to yes, do you want to notify people
# who sent you messages containing attachments that are blocked due to
# being too small or too large?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Notify Senders Of Blocked Size Attachments = no

# *If* "Notify Senders" is set to yes, do you want to notify people
# who sent you messages containing other blocked content, such as
# partial messages or messages with external bodies?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Notify Senders Of Other Blocked Content = yes

# If you supply a space-separated list of message "precedence" settings,
# then senders of those messages will not be warned about anything you
# rejected. This is particularly suitable for mailing lists, so that any
# MailScanner responses do not get sent to the entire list.
Never Notify Senders Of Precedence = list bulk

Any ideas? Is there something I may have enabled somewhere?