mailscanner-mrtg giving low virus results with new install

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Mar 18 16:51:53 GMT 2009

on 3-18-2009 2:54 AM Gregory Machin spake the following:
> Hi
>
> I have setup a new mail scanner using the latest “Version 4.74.16-1 for
> RedHat, Fedora and Mandrake Linux (and other RPM-based Linux
> distributions)”   and “ClamAV 0.94.2 and SpamAssassin 3.2.5 installation
> package.” . All seem to be well no errors in the log files. But when
> comparing the number of viruses found on the new server, compared to
> that on the old servers Also running MailScanner (updated to the latest
> version) and an older version Clamav. There is a big difference in the
> results on mailscanner-mrtg. The old server found 250 viruses yesterday
>  where as the new one only 9 .. and the trend is the same today. The
> virus scans are being logged for the mails and coming back uninfected.
> Updates are up to date.
>

> Thus my question is
>
> 1)      How do I test MailScanner and all it’s features to check it’s
> working correctly ?
>
> 2)      Is the mailscanner-mrtg compatible with the current release of
> MailScanner and the bundled Clamav-SA packages ?
>
> 3)      Are the old servers giving false positives because of the old
> clamav installs (clamd –V 0.94.1/9127/Wed Mar 18 06:30:26 2009)
>

> This is installed on fedora Core 10 x68_64.
>

> Many thanksClamAV
>
> Greg

Do you get logging of infected files, but they get delivered?
Have you tried sending a test eicar mail through? Did it get caught?
How are you accessing clamav? By clamscan, clamd, or the perl module?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and