How to Remove X-headers

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Fri Mar 13 21:51:18 GMT 2009

On 3/13/2009 10:29 PM, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Randal, Phil wrote:
>> We've hit the same issue this week.
>>
>> The relevant Microsoft documentation is here:
>>
>> Understanding the Impact of Named Property and Replica Identifier Limits
>> on Exchange Databases
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851492.aspx
>>
>> Events 9666, 9667, 9668, and 9669 Received When Named Properties or
>> Replica Identifiers Are Depleted for An Exchange Database
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851495.aspx
>>
>> Note how Microsoft has completely lost the plot on this one, and fails
>> to understand that there could be any number of unique X- header lines,
>> not just their arbitrary limit of at most 327766 "Named properties".
>
> So if I start adding randomness to my headers and send out enough email
> to an exchange server I will get the Exchange admin into a tight spot?
>
> I must say I almost feel tempted to install just such a scheme to hit on
> Microsoft admins worldwide ;-)

hey, no need to go thru such trouble....

consider how many of these are silently doing it for you, nice and
slowly. till at one point, 10 mails will DOS a box.
Botnets attacks are peanuts compared to this.

lets start counting:

ESP's tracking & X-Mail headers.
Antispam devices adding huge header sets
MUA headers
MailScanner Organisation/etc unique headers
Devices using Spamassassin with modified header sets
BATV type implementations

there sooooooo many out there at some point there'll be global panic
hitting Microsoft related forums/lists.

Honestly, dunno if one should start sending out advisories to clients to
  prepare for the big bang, or does M$ ack and promise to provide a fix?

Alex