OT: set sendmail client IPv6 address

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 20:47:26 GMT 2009

Apparently Postfix has an option "smtp_bind_address6" which sets the
IPv6 source address of outgoing SMTP connections.
This is useful if your Postfix server has, like many IPv6-configured
boxes, more than 1 IPv6 address.

Can you do the same in sendmail?
If so, how?

In RedHat 5 and presumably CentOS 5, you always get a global IPv6
address based on the MAC address of the ethernet card combined with your
local IPv6 subnet.
We always add another global IPv6 address based on the machine's role as
well, so that their IPv6 addresses in the DNS don't depend on the MAC
address of the ethernet card. Sensible if you don't want to have to
update your DNS just because a network card dies.

So how do I either
a) Stop RedHat 5 + CentOS 5 creating a global IPv6 address based on the
MAC address,
and/or
b) Set the source IPv6 address of client SMTP connections my mail server
makes to the outside world
?

All ideas welcome!

Cheers,