Too many attachments - Enhancement request

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Wed Mar 4 16:12:30 GMT 2009

Brad Beckenhauer a écrit :
> Running MailScanner v4.74.16
>
> Yesterday I got a call that a client was not receiving "digest" email from a Lyris List Server.   I scanned the mail logs and found the following message:
>
> maillog.1:Mar 03 00:00:34 mxxx MailScanner[26495]: Too many attachments (221) in 382851CA8007.738AC
>

> At first I thought it was the "Maximum Attachments Per Message" in MailScanner.conf, but that was set to '200'.
>
> Maximum Attachments Per Message = 200
>
> I then checked MailWatch to and discovered that the error was related to Viruses, so I looked at the following settings:
>
> # In every batch of virus-scanning, limit the maximum
> # a) number of unscanned messages to deliver
> # b) number of potentially infected messages to unpack and scan
> # c) total size of unscanned messages to deliver
> # d) total size of potentially infected messages to unpack and scan
>
> Max Unscanned Bytes Per Scan = 100m
> Max Unsafe Bytes Per Scan = 50m
> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 30
> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 30
>
> First thing I noted was that the items are out of order "a) != Max Unscanned Bytes Per Scan = 100m
>
> Perhaps Julian could change the order of these items in the next release?
>
> Since the email in question had over 40 attachments, that left two possible choices:
> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 30
> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 30
>
> One of these is the possible culprit for me to tinker with.
>
> Enhancement request:
> Rather than just long "Too many attachments" could the message log also include what MailScanner "setting" triggered the error.
>
> example message log:
> Before:
> maillog.1:Mar 03 00:00:34 mxxx MailScanner[26495]: Too many attachments (221) in 382851CA8007.738AC
>
> After:
> maillog.1:Mar 03 00:00:34 mxxx MailScanner[26495]: Too many attachments (Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan) (221) in 382851CA8007.738AC
>
> Also, how is the MailScannerCounter of 221 in the message log useful?  How is it used for debugging?
>
> thanks!
> Brad

Brad,

Whenever I see that message it's because the email has more than 200
attachments.  It happens quite often with some mailing lists' digests.
I had to use a rule file to bypass that limit:
Maximum Attachments Per Message = %rules-dir%/max.attachments.rules

max.attachments.rules:
From:       *@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU  500
FromOrTo:   default             200

Denis