Files being blocked despite configuration changes

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Jun 26 17:57:34 IST 2009

Hi there --

I received a request to have .dat files be allowed through our mail server.
Files of this type
were normally sent to quarantine with an e-mail notification report stating the
following:

Report: MailScanner: No programs allowed (set.dat)
Report: MailScanner: No programs allowed (set.dat)

I reconfigured the filename.rules.conf and filetype.rules.conf files to allow
the above file
types to pass through without problem. Listed below are the syntaxes from each
of the
configuration files:

filename.rules.conf
# Physics has requested that files of this type be allowed...
allow   \.dat$

filetype.rules.conf
allow   dat             -                       Physics requested these be
allowed

Once these changes were made, MailScanner along with the mailserver, Sendmail,
were
restarted via the /etc/init.d/MailScanner script. There were no failed messages
appearing
on-screen when this occurred.

The problem is the following: even though the files in question have been
configured to
be allowed, they are still being blocked and sent to quarantine. The version of
MailScanner
is 4.72.5 while that of Sendmail is 8.14.1.

What other steps and/or
corrections do I need to make in order to fix this? Thanks.

dispose of the e-mail.