lstat() failed on: /mnt/ramdisk/...

Dave Jones davejones70 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:32:11 IST 2009

>Dave
>
>is the /mnt/ramdisk the actual mount point or merely a symbolic link.
>MailScanner needs the actual proper path and not a sym link to it.
>
>2009/6/24 Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>
>
>> on 6-24-2009 5:04 AM Dave Jones spake the following:
>> > lstat() failed on: /mnt/ramdisk/31166/n5NC95S6028227/tnef.31166
>> >
>> > I get thousands of these messages in my logwatch report daily.  My
>> > permissions are correct in the dir and conf.
>> >
>> > MailScanner.conf:
>> > -----------------------------
>> > Quarantine Permissions = 0660
>> > Incoming Work Dir = /mnt/ramdisk
>> > SpamAssassin Cache Database File = /mnt/ramdisk/SpamAssassin.cache.db
>> > SpamAssassin Temporary Dir = /mnt/ramdisk/SpamAssassin-Temp
>> >
>> > # ll -d /mnt/ramdisk
>> > drwxrwsr-x 19 root clamav 4096 Jun 24 07:53 /mnt/ramdisk
>> >
>> > This is happening on all 3 systems that use a ramdisk.  Other
>> > non-ramdisk MS servers are fine.
>> >
>> > I am seeing subdirs like "31166" under /mnt/ramdisk that are empty.
>> > Is there a conf setting that needs to match the "Incoming Work Dir" so
>> > the TNEF will use the same location or something like this?
>>
>> How do you have the ramdisks created? Maybe they are running out of space.
>> Most people use tmpfs, as it can grow into the swap if it overflows.

# mount | grep ram
/dev/ram0 on /mnt/ramdisk type ext2 (rw)
# df -H | grep ram
/dev/ram0              1.1G    26M   983M   3% /mnt/ramdisk

I have 1 GB allocated to the ramdisk and never see it get more than
3 to 5 percent used.

We have plans to add 2 MailScanner servers in a few months and we will
build these with tempfs now that I understand that tempfs is better.
At that time, we were going to switch the existing MailScanner servers
to tempfs but if you think the ramdisk is the problem, then I could do
the switch now.

It seems like this was working perfectly until 4 or 5 months ago, possibly
coinciding when I did a MailScanner upgrade but I am not sure.  The servers
have been in place for about 18+ months using the ramdisk I an know the
lstat errors just started this year without any major changes to the
MailScanner.conf.

--
Dave Jones