Reject message no from address

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:22:31 IST 2009

2009/6/11 Paul Lemmons <paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com>:
> This is bound to be an FAQ but for the life of me I can not find the answer.
> After an hour of searching with Google I will accept the flames if I missed
> something obvious.
>
> I would like to reject all messages that do not have a from address with a
> valid syntax. Particularly blank from addresses. We are getting quite a bit
> of "empty spam" (no message, blank sender, blank return path, minimal
> headers) and I would like to filter these messages. Any pointers would be
> helpful.

Look at the watermark feature of MailScanner, it is designed for this
purpose. Or (if your MTA support milters) look at milter-null.
For general sender address verification, the method (and "theology"...
whether to use or not:-) differ a bit depending on things like MTA
etc. But strart with the first two;-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn