Performance numbers for a DELL R710

R Wahyudi rwahyudi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:57:16 IST 2009

2009/6/9 Alex Neuman <alex at rtpty.com>:
> Also milter-null can help with backscatter and fake bounces.
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:
>>
>> Doing any graylisting, greet-pause, or recipient address verification?  Stopping invalid messages at the MTA handshake level takes a lot of the load off MailScanner...
>>

>> ...Kevin
>> --
>> Kevin Miller                Registered Linux User No: 307357
>> CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
>> 155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
>> Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500
>>

>> ________________________________

In addition to whats already being mentioned , you might want to stop
some spam at SMTP level before you let trough more messages trough MailScanner.
- Make sure you only accept incoming email addressed to valid
recipient and limit the number of "catch-all" domain in your system
- Use rate limiting or tarpitting to prevent spam burst :
   - I set up my MTA (postfix) to pause for 5 seconds on soft error
and kick them out if they make more than 5 mistake.
   - Max 100 connection from 1 IP per minutes

- Get rsync feeds and run your own RBL server locally. Another benefit
of this is you can combine multiple blacklist in one zone and do just
1 lookup.
- Run DNS cache locall.
- Populate  IP based whitelist and bypass the scanning ( eg mail from
coming from known servers eg  facebook, yahoogroups , myspace, ebay,
maillinglists )
- Make use of short circuit in SA ( eg: short-circuit SURBL and
classify them as high scoring spam )
- Optimize SA rules. Do not over load SA with rules that consume a lot
of memory.
- Use SQL for bayes, and only use bayes if you train them
- If you use 2 or more server, modify MailScanner caching to use MySQL
database and share the information.
- If you use MailScanner - partition and roll over the maillog table
using merge tables ( see mailscanner tips and trick )
- Use separate disk for logging. Make sure write cache is enabled

Rianto Wahyudi