scan.messages.rules From: 192.168. no not working

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Fri Jun 5 01:11:46 IST 2009

/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf

Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/scan.messages.rules
Read IP Address From Received Header = no

/etc/MailScanner/rules/scan.messages.rules

From: 192.168. no
FromOrTo: default  yes

MailScanner restarted.

My understanding is that MailScanner should not scan anything coming
from an ip address beginning with 192.168. (=192.168.0.0/16).  There is
no error when restarting MailScanner.  This ruleset is not working.
Specifically I am attempting to resend (using Thunderbird's resend
feature) HAM which was picked up as spam.

Can anyone tell me why my ruleset is not working?  Is my understanding
of the functionality correct?  How can I achieve what I'm trying to do?

I have looked through the lists but I've not found anything specifically
helpful.

Marc