OT - Help with resulting error message

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 16:09:09 IST 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Steve Campbell wrote:

> So after reading the entire thread, am I right in assuming that one of
> multi.surbl.org's DNS servers is having it's cache poisoned, and thusly
> the receiving mail server that is rejecting our user's email based on
> the poisoned return from SURBL?
>
> Our DNS servers are returning NXDOMAIN for twitter.com.multi.surbl.org.

On the evidence available, that seems to be about it.  flickr also seems
to be affected.

In fact I think SURBL don't recommend you use their list for outright
blocking, but in my case, I find things are hitting:

 2.0 URIBL_PH_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the PH SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: twitter.com]
 1.6 URIBL_AB_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: twitter.com]
 3.0 URIBL_SC_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: twitter.com]

which tips it over our local threshold for "spam".  My Spamassassin isn't
very recent, maybe current versions are less sensitive to this additive
effect.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK