Performance numbers for a DELL R710

Zaeem Arshad zaeem.arshad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:40:24 IST 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Martin Hepworth <maxsec at gmail.com> wrote:

> more children will help - alot of this is suck it and see as
> performance can vary alot. normal starting point is 5 children per
> core and 30 messages per batch.

I am currently running 45 processes and around 25 messages per batch. Will
try to tweak and see.

> for that sort of level I'd be looking at multiple machines - if you
> loose this machine or whatever reason what happens!

Getting 2 more for performance and redundancy reasons

> Also check the RBL's you're running - things like spamhaus will
> require a licence for thsi sort of amount and too RBLs slows the
> processing down alot.

I am considering that. Running a local caching server will help limit the
number of queries made but will definitely look into that. I remember
reading about Ironport's architecture docs mentioning that it uses an
asynchronous kernel. Has anyone played with the 2.6 kernel scheduler?

--
Zaeem