MailScanner ANNOUNCE: Stable 4.77 released

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon Jun 1 16:41:45 IST 2009

Julian Field wrote:
> Morning all!
>
> (If you are not already following me on twitter, then feel free to do
> so, I announce all new features and so on there to help you keep up to
> date: twitter.com/JulesFM)
>
> I have just released a new stable version of MailScanner, 4.77.
>
> The most important new features this month include:
>
> - You can finally use hostname, domain name, partial domain names
> including wildcards and Perl regular expressions to make a ruleset
> line apply to the name of the host the message came from, instead of
> having to just use the numerical IP address. You just put in ruleset
> lines that look like those below:
>     From: host:mail.mydomain.com yes
>     From: host:mail*.mydomain.com yes
>     From: host:mydomain.com yes
>     From: host:julianfield.* yes
>     From: host:/(de|dk|es)$/ yes
>   As you can see from the examples above, you have to put in the
> keyword "host:" at the start of the hostname, domain name, or regular
> expression. Regular expressions must be surrounded by "/" characters.
>   Note that using this feature will require one extra DNS hostname
> lookup per message (but only if you use this feature), so there is a
> small performance hit.
>   It is documented more fully in the etc/rules/README and
> etc/rules/EXAMPLES files.
>
> - MailScanner can now *unzip* small zip files and other archives. We
> have systems that mail us zipped files automatically, and we wanted to
> save the step of unzipping each attachment to get the small log file
> inside. This feature is supported by some new configuration settings:
>   Unzip Maximum Files Per Archive = 4
>   Unzip Maximum File Size = 50k
>   Unzip Filenames = *.txt *.ini *.log *.csv
>   Unzip MimeType = text/plain
>
> - The "Read IP Address From Received Header" setting has been extended
> so it can now take a number as well as just "yes" or "no". This is so
> you can choose the IP address from the n-th "Received:" header in the
> message, which fetchmail users will find useful.
>
> Download it as usual from
>                 www.mailscanner.info
>
> Here is the full ChangeLog for this month:
> * New Features and Improvements *
> 1 Can now automatically unzip small zip files and other archives. This
>   is very useful if you have some service automatically mailing you log
>   files, which zips up the logfiles to save space. It will unpack them if
>   there only a few of them, they are fairly small and they match a list
>   of filename patterns.
>   Unzip Maximum Files Per Archive = 4
>   Unzip Maximum File Size = 50k
>   Unzip Filenames = *.txt *.ini *.log *.csv
>   Unzip MimeType = text/plain
> 1 Hourly cron job about messages being processed only sends a message if
>   'Send Notices = yes' is set in MailScanner.conf.
> 1 "Read IP Address From Received Header" has been extended, so it will
>   now take a number instead of yes or no. "yes"=1 and "no"=0. If it is
> set
> [...]

Confusion here on what this is doing.

Is this to say that by putting "host:" in front of an address, MS will
now verify the IP of that host/domain and if the sending IP doesn't
match the host/domain IP, the rule(set) is disregarded and normal
processing continues? Sort of like SPF?

Sorry for the dumbness.

Steve Campbell