MailScanner ANNOUNCE: Stable 4.77 released

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Jun 1 15:31:19 IST 2009

Julian Field wrote on Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:00:20 +0100:

> - You can finally use hostname, domain name, partial domain names
> including wildcards and Perl regular expressions to make a ruleset line
> apply to the name of the host the message came from, instead of having
> to just use the numerical IP address.

Do I understand it correctly that it goes
IP number - reverse lookup - act on the resultant hostname?

1.
What happens if there is no hostname? (not that we accept mail from such
servers, but others may) Will it just not match or throw an error? It
might be helpful to actually match against "no hostname".

2.
It looks easily forgable to me. e.g. if a spammer wants to send a lot of
spam pertaining to come from gmail.com addresses from a host where he has
control over PTR records he can easily "forge" the PTR to something at
gmail.com and take advantage of any possible whitelisting. So, I think a
word of caution in the comments about using this feature for general
whitelisting of freemailers might be advisable.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany