Allowing .exe files inside .zip files

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 31 22:35:25 IST 2009

Absolutely.

See these settings in MailScanner.conf and their "non-Archive" equivalents:
Archives: Allow Filenames =
Archives: Deny Filenames =
Archives: Filename Rules = %etc-dir%/archives.filename.rules.conf
Archives: Allow Filetypes =
Archives: Allow File MIME Types =
Archives: Deny Filetypes =
Archives: Deny File MIME Types =
Archives: Filetype Rules = %etc-dir%/archives.filetype.rules.conf

On 31/07/2009 21:28, Michael Masse wrote:
> I believe the most recent versions of MS allow different filetype settings depending on whether the files are in an archive or not, so you could allow .exe's in zip's if you really wish to do so, and yet block plain .exe attachments.
>
> Mike
>
> 	>>>  On 7/31/2009 at 3:00 PM, in message<4A734D6D.9050808 at gmail.com>, Mauricio
> Tavares<raubvogel at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> What is the best/proper way to allow a .exe file to be sent as an
>> attachment when inside a zip file? I still want to have the zip file
>> opened and checked for nasties, but if the .exe itself is ok, it should
>> be left alone. Thanks to suggestions in the channel,
>>
>> Maximum Archive Depth = 0
>>
>> seems to do the trick, but I wonder what the cost is and whether there
>> is a better way.  Any thoughts?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng