Spamassassin timeouts

Jonas Akrouh Larsen jonas at techbiz.dk
Thu Jul 23 13:40:53 IST 2009

Hi List

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer.

I got an annoying problem with SA timeouts.

For the past week my sampling shows that out of 51037 mails, spamassassin
timed out on 66 of them.

This is not a big percentage obviously, but it bothers me that I have a
pretty decent protection scheme setup which lets very few spams through.

I’d actually guess that SA time outs creates as many false positives (as in
mails MS thinks are ham) as actual spam slipping through my anti-spam rules.

I was wondering if there was any way to make MS refuse to have SA timeouts
(or maybe make it configureable to atleast try the mail again for x number
of times before we accept to let the mail pass MS without having been
scanned by SA)

I don’t think this is possible with the current version of MS.

Also note that simply increasing the sa timeout isn’t as good a solution as
the confirable “rety behavior (in my opinion atleast)

So am I alone in thinking this would be a neat addition to MS, or what do
people think/do with sa timeouts in general?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Jonas Akrouh Larsen

TechBiz ApS

Laplandsgade 4, 2. sal