Sender Address Verification

Hostmaster Hostmaster at computerservicecentre.com
Mon Jul 13 16:35:03 IST 2009

>I recently deployed the smf-sav, which works quite well. It takes a lot of load
off mailscanner.

>I recently got listed on backscatter because I have used it on one of "their"
members so it seems.

>Looking on their Web Site it seems there is nothing I can do only pay them 50
euro to get delisted, and then what happens if I do >sav again?

>Have any of the list had this issue, with smf-sav?  Is there anything that can
be done from your experience? I do not want to turn >off smf-sav.

>Thanks to you all

I am assuming you mean you have been listed at backscatterer.org...

I must admit that I find something particularly distasteful about being on the
receiving end of sender validation lookups, especially considering that some of
our servers receive email for domains which they do not send email for. In my
opinion, nobody should rely on someone else's resources (memory and CPU time) to
work out if they should accept an email, and I guess that the Backscatter
blacklist was built on this basis - their sender callout policy is here -
http://www.backscatterer.org/?target=sendercallouts and I have to say that I
agree with all points.

I am pretty sure that this has been discussed on-list before and that some
people have very strong feelings in both ways regarding callouts, so it might be
worth searching the list archives for further info on the subject.

Best Regards,

Richard

All E-Mail communications are monitored in addition to being content checked for malicious codes or viruses. The success of scanning products is not guaranteed, therefore the recipient(s) should carry out any checks that they believe to be appropriate in this respect.

This message (including any attachments and/or related materials) is confidential to and is the property of Computer Service Centre, unless otherwise noted. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Computer Service Centre.