mailscanner with heavy load

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Fri Jan 30 13:19:50 GMT 2009

Paulo Roncon a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> Can you please tell how many mgs/day and Mb/day do your mailscanner filter?
> I'm designing a large deployment and have some concerns in its capability of handling heavy loads...
> In my case the box will face about 2MB/s incoming and 60msg/s !!
> How many servers(HP G5, quadcore, 16RAM) should I install? (not using DCC, Razor, Pyzor.)

For one thing if you want to use MailWatch, you'll need a dedicated
Postgresql server.  Also get the fastest disks you can get (ideally 4
SAS 15K HDD, in RAID10).

The DL380 that we've got is a dual 4-core, 6 GB RAM, and its average
speed for processing a 30-message batch is around 80s, but I think we
never saw it driving 30 messages on all the 15 childs at the same time.

That means that if most of your traffic is between 8 and 17h, you can
theoretically scan 12150 messages/child, during these 9 hours.  This is
only the part that reaches MailScanner.  BarricadeMX kills the rest.  We
get an average of over 500 000 SMTP connexions/day (6/sec) on our
busiest server.

You may want to ask FSL's advice as they've seen many different kind of
setups.  They may also help get the best results out of your hardware.

Regards,

Ugo