Watermark catching mailscanners own bounce messages

JTP10181 jtp at jtpage.net
Sat Jan 24 15:53:18 GMT 2009

OK this is my first time posting on here so I hope I am doing this right.

I am using:
redhat-release-5Server-5.2.0.4
mailscanner-4.74.13-2
sendmail-8.13.8-2.el5

I enabled watermarks to cut down on the fake bounce messages. I seemed like
it was working. I was watching mailwatch one day and noticed someone sent an
exe file which got flagged as a bad file. Mailscanner then went to send a
bounce message back to sender of the file but that got flagged as spam
because it did not have a watermark on it and mailscanner was not able to
pick up a "from" address. I do have a valid from addy configured in the
mailscanner conf which I saw in the headers but the "return path" I believe
was the MAILER_DEAMON which seems to make it have no from address according
to mailscanner.

Do I have something configured wrong, or is this a bug?