Missing files during new installation

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Jan 19 14:31:23 GMT 2009

Simone Morandini wrote on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:41:23 +0100:

> Each one of this message was preceded by a "error: Bad exit status from
> /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.39250 (%install)" kind of message and followed by a
> "Maybe it did not build correctly?" message.

That indeed seems to be the case. The many errors above mean that the
install script wanted to install the rpms that it just built, but they
weren't there (at a different location or not built). Try to build just
one of the src.rpm manually and see what the outcome is.

> Finally, I got some failed dependencies too:
>
> Installing tnef decoder
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4) is needed by tnef-1.4.5-1
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by tnef-1.4.5-1
>         rtld(GNU_HASH) is needed by tnef-1.4.5-1

Yeah, and you won't be able to get glibc updated on this OS. You either
have to use an older version of tnef or build it from source yourself.

> error: Failed dependencies:
>         perl-MIME-tools >= 5.412 is needed by mailscanner-4.74.16-1

what version is currently installed.

> I would like to know if I need to manually install all the missing RPMs
> or if there is some kind of automated process.

You use a very old OS version that I haven't ever used. So just some
general comment from the experience I have had with RHEL/CentOS 4 and 5. I
would upgrade all missing Perl modules from what is available at RH and
then add the missing ones from a third-party repo, for instance rpmforge.
Maybe there are others specialized in RH 3. Once you have installed all
the missing Perl modules this way (you should be able to get them all this
way) you just "rpm -ivh mailscanner*.rpm" that is inside the tarball and
don't use the install.sh.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany