Preventing backscatter with sendmail

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 06:59:29 GMT 2009

Hi,

--- On Sat, 17/1/09, Paul Welsh <paul at welshfamily.com> wrote:

> From: Paul Welsh <paul at welshfamily.com>
> Subject: Preventing backscatter with sendmail
> To: mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info
> I'm looking for a way of doing with sendmail what exim
> does out of the box,
> ie, recipient verification when the MailScanner/Sendmail
> server is a front
> end to Exchange.
>
> I've been googling and from what I can see I have the
> following options:
>
> milter-ahead - www.milter.info/sendmail/milter-ahead/
> Mailfromd
> scam-backscatter - www.elandsys.com/scam/scam-backscatter/
> access.db
> ldap lookups
>
> Only about 100 - 120 email addresses so access.db is a
> possibility.
> Milter-ahead costs 90 euro (probably worth £150 by the
> time I can get round
> to buying it!).  LDAP lookups seem a bit complex.
>
> Mailfromd seems the most popular.  Is that the de facto
> standard way of doing this?

I don't think there's any defacto standard, just depends on your selection and what works best for you.

I use scam-back (scam backscatter) and have been for years, it works well and fits exactly the work it's required to do on multiple hosted domains.

Michael.

      Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox