bug on FreeBSD with Perl 5.8.9

Mikael Syska mikael at syska.dk
Sat Jan 17 15:17:37 GMT 2009

Hi Jerry,

It was my problem my the start ... Only using ports and wandered what
other people did ...

DAve just mentioned what they did on FreeBSD, and he had no problem
what so ever .. but he has not updated Perl yet to 5.8.9 ... as he
will wait a bit, luckily for him :-)

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Jerry <gesbbb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:29:31 -0500
> DAve <dave.list at pixelhammer.com> wrote:
>
>>> Curious-- is there anything you have to do that's particular to
>>> FreeBSD, or is just a matter of "download the source tarball, build
>>> clamav / spamassassin from ports, and run the installer?"
>>>

>>We used Julian's mailscanner install pkg, and his clam+SA install pkg.
>>Create a /opt directory and follow Julian's instructions. You will
>>need to modify the startup scripts to fit FreeBSD but that is pretty
>>trivial.
>>
>>Our start scripts are a bit more heavily modified than needed because
>>we also split our messages, run clamd, some milters, and a few other
>>oddities. Our scripts are not like the ports scripts, or like
>>Julian's, but any decent bash hack will work to get things started ;^)
>
> Curious. Since you 'roll your own', you really cannot expect to get
> much help from the FreeBSD ports people. I have not heard from anyone
> who has updated Perl on a FreeBSD system reporting a problem with
> Mailscanner; however, they are no doubt using the the 'ports' system to
> accomplish the updates.
>
> You might want to contact the Mailscanner maintainer on FreeBSD
> <j.koopmann at seceidos.de> and see if he can shed any light on your
> problem. I don't know if he would be willing to work with you since
> this is not his problem; however, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Read my commants in the top ... you must have confused who the org
message was from ... and the following comments from other.

> By the way, how did you install your other mail utilities? If you
> installed from source rather than the ports system, updating Perl would
> probably cause a breakage since the normal "perl-after-upgrade script"
> would not be able to properly act on those packages, or Mailscanner for
> that manner, properly.
>
> <rant>
> This is why I stay away from unnecessary 'hacks'.
> </rant>

Yes ... me to, but still, following the ports led me to these problem.

> --
> Jerry
> gesbbb at yahoo.com
>
> Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
>
>        Don Marquis
>
> --

Mikael Syska
Denmark