bug on FreeBSD with Perl 5.8.9

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri Jan 16 21:29:31 GMT 2009

Corey Chandler wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> Mikael Syska wrote:
>>> What does other freebsd sysadmins do to stay current and not have a
>>> messed system where something is from other sources to be able to have
>>> a up-to-date system ?
>>> If there are any one out there also using freebsd ... and using Julian
>>> package from http://mailscanner.info I will be more than happy to hear
>>> from them.
>>
>> We switched from ports to Julian's pkg system last year on both our
>> FreeBSD MailScanner boxes. Nothing against the port, but doing so
>> allowed us to use the newest release if needed, provides a way to have
>> multiple releases installed choosing them by changing a symlink, and
>> if we have a problem, Julian knows *exactly* where everything is
>> installed.
>>
>> Very happy with the result.
>>
>> DAve
>>
> Curious-- is there anything you have to do that's particular to FreeBSD,
> or is just a matter of "download the source tarball, build clamav /
> spamassassin from ports, and run the installer?"

We used Julian's mailscanner install pkg, and his clam+SA install pkg.
Create a /opt directory and follow Julian's instructions. You will need
to modify the startup scripts to fit FreeBSD but that is pretty trivial.

Our start scripts are a bit more heavily modified than needed because we
also split our messages, run clamd, some milters, and a few other
oddities. Our scripts are not like the ports scripts, or like Julian's,
but any decent bash hack will work to get things started ;^)

DAve

--
The whole internet thing is sucking the life out of me,
there ain't no pony in there.