bug on FreeBSD with Perl 5.8.9

Mikael Syska mikael at syska.dk
Fri Jan 16 10:16:11 GMT 2009

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the reply.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Drew Marshall
<drew.marshall at technologytiger.net> wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2009, at 02:02, Mikael Syska wrote:
>
>> But ... if this is fixed in the current release I can't say ... the
>> freebsd ports tree contains: MailScanner-4.67.6_3 which is from 15 Sep
>> 2008 20:56:38, so a little old. about a half a year.
>> So ... my only option I could find ... as my mail system was down was
>> to turn back to perl 5.8.8.
>>
>> Anyone else got this problem ? On other systems ?
>>
>> What does other freebsd sysadmins do to stay current and not have a
>> messed system where something is from other sources to be able to have
>> a up-to-date system ?
>> If there are any one out there also using freebsd ... and using Julian
>> package from http://mailscanner.info I will be more than happy to hear
>> from them.
>
> I did post a new port file a few days ago. In unofficial but works for me. I
> have also discussed this with Jan-Peter the maintainer of the MailScanner
> port (Who has been very busy recently hence not had time to bring things
> right up to date) and he has made a new port, which is being tested (And has
> found some errors so it can't be released just yet). Give the man a few more
> days and I am sure you will have an updated official port.

I will ... just wanted to know what other did ... and I'm looking
forward to the new release.

> Having said that, I don't know if the latest version of MS runs in Perl
> 5.8.9 as I haven't updated that yet (Now there is a big move I would like to
> test a bit before rolling out live!)

hehe, yes, I also testesd it ... and ofcause there was a problem,
gahhh, thank god for "portdowngrade" made it a bit easiar to rollback.

>> well, its late here ... got darn freebsd update late .... reminder: DONT
>> DO IT.
>
> ...With out testing it :-)

Yes, thats the only reason I found the error.

>> well .. its running now, only 22k messages to process :-p
>
> Nice, I hope they have gone before your users wake up ;-)

Actually, the only mail I got this morning was from my boss asking if
the MailScanner could handle the load ... but it processed the 25k
messages in 1 hour ...

> Drew
>
> --

best regards