Blacklisting from URIBL

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 00:47:52 GMT 2009

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your reply.

> From: Raymond Dijkxhoorn <raymond at prolocation.net>
> Subject: Re: Blacklisting from URIBL
> To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
> Hi!
>
> You can do this on MTA level. Use a milter to reject based
> on URI.

I use various milters, one of the more powerful is milter-greylist which does all sorts of things including blacklisting.

I'm just unsure how to do this against uribl since the only things I can find on the web for querying multi.uribl.com is a bunch of SA rules which are already used.

Going to the uribl.com website only shows SA usage, not how to query their uribl from the command line or what 127.0.0.? are returned. Remember also uribl lists domain names, not just IP's.

I've also emailed in the uribl mailing list to see if they can help.

> > I use URIBL in SpamAssassin, like so many other SA
> users, to score emails based on the URI lookup in
> multi.uribl.com
> >
> > What I'd like to do though, is drop the emails
> completely ie. not even accept them if they exist in
> uribl.com
> >
> > How can I do this?
>
> Not sure if this is smart however, but if you dont mind
> loosing legitimate mail its no issue.

There is absolutely zero legitimate email which has URI's in URIBL_BLACK. Maybe in URIBL_GREY, maybe in URIBL_GOLD, but never in URIBL_BLACK. Those are 100% confirmed URI's of spammers.

Thanks.

Michael.