General Thankyou (still diagnosing fault)

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 20:32:46 GMT 2009

On 12/1/09 19:59, Dave Filchak wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>>

>> On 12/1/09 16:41, Dave Filchak wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> /usr/sbin/update_virus_scanners
>>> lduid = , ldgid =
>>>
>>> Does not appear to.
>> Aha, we're getting somewhere.
>> Now edit /usr/sbin/update_virus_scanners.
>> At the very top there are 3 lines which set LOCKDIR, RUNASU and RUNASG.
>> Immediately after them add these 3 lines
>> echo LOCKDIR = \'$LOCKDIR\'
>> echo RUNASU = \'$RUNASU\'
>> echo RUNASG = \'$RUNASG\'
>>
>> Then run /usr/sbin/update_virus_scanners as root.
>>
>> I am hoping it will print something like this:
>> LOCKDIR = '/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks'
>> RUNASU = 'postfix'
>> RUNASG = 'postfix'
>> lduid = 89, ldgid = 89
>> Let us see what your version prints.
>>
>> We should be able to sort this pretty soon, we're getting very close
>> to the source of the problem.
>>
>> Jules
>>
> OK ... this is what I got from the first addition:
>
> /usr/sbin/update_virus_scanners
> LOCKDIR = '/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks'
> RUNASU = 'postfix '
> RUNASG = 'postfix '
> lduid = , ldgid =
>
> Then with the addition of the second part, I get:
>
> /usr/sbin/update_virus_scanners
> LOCKDIR = '/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks'
> RUNASU = 'postfix'
> RUNASG = 'postfix'
> lduid = 80, ldgid = 80
>
> which looks much better ... yes?
Perfect! At last :-)

Attached are new versions of mailscanner_create_locks and
update_virus_scanners for you, which are slight improvements on the
versions you now have. Please let me know if these work okay for you and
correctly set the ownership of the files in
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks.

I have gzipped the files to (a) save bandwidth and more importantly (b)
stop my email client from attempting to add any signature to them or
otherwise play with them :-) You will need to gunzip them before
installing them, but I expect that's obvious ;)
Also, don't forget to ensure you have set them executable first.
chmod +x /usr/sbin/{mailscanner_create_locks,update_virus_scanners}
(Yes, that really is a valid shell command).

Once you have tested them and confirmed they set the ownerships
correctly, I'll re-release the latest stable MailScanner with this
important fix in it.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng