block spoofing mail

ListAcc listacc at ocosa.com
Sun Jan 11 23:51:54 GMT 2009

Martin,

There is a previous post about this.  Have you considered using SPF? One
thing to cut down on spoofed mail is setup an ACL on the outside
interface of your mail server that blocks all IP address not yet
assigned or known for spam.  If you are using postfix as your MTA you
can setup this up with smtpd restrictions. The below will help mitigate
but I would suggest also putting up an ACL if you can to block your
domain name from entering your outside interface if it's within your
mail routing policy and setup.  Also scan all user computers for bots
and etc that may be around. Make sure users must authenticate before
sending....

For example:

in /etc/postfix/main.cf

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
*    check_sender_mx_access cidr:/etc/postfix/bogus_mx *(see postfix for
complete command usage and available restrictions)**
    permit

make sure you create the bogus_mx and place all the bad networks such as

in /etc/postfix/bogus_mx

0.0.0.0/8 550 Bad Network
10.0.0.0/8 550 Bad Network
127.0.0.0/8 550 Bad Network

For a complete up to date list of bogons networks see
http://www.team-cymru.org

Regards,
Otis