Redirecting spam

Cannon Watts cwatts at elsberry.k12.mo.us
Sun Jan 11 03:08:43 GMT 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 12:49:12AM -0000, Paul Welsh wrote:
> This has probably been asked a million times (but can't find it searching
> the list).
>
> I note that
>
> Spam Actions = forward
>
> forwards a *copy* of the message to another address.  What I wish to do is
> to redirect the message to another address where it can be evaluated
> manually and forwarded on if not spam.
>
> Can I use
>
> delete forward
>
> or is
>
> store forward
>
> my only option?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question (which is entirely possible)
forward does exactly what you want.  It doesn't forward the message in the
same sense as you would forward an email using your mail client.  If you
specify 'Spam Actions = forward spamfolder at yourdomain.com' in the config file,
those messages flagged as spam will be delivered to spamfolder at yourdomain.com
instead of the intended recipient.

At my site, I use the following:
High Scoring Spam Actions = store
Spam Actions = forward spam at mydomain.com

High scoring spam gets stored in the quarantine, and low-scoring spam gets
delivered to the spam mailbox.  I look through that mailbox at the end of
the day, and if I find anything that shouldn't have been flagged, I save
a copy to the intended recipient's mailbox, save a copy to a ham mailbox,
and, if appropriate, whitelist the sender's address.  I've then got a cron
job that feeds both the spam and ham mailboxes to sa-learn to improve my
bayes scores.

Cannon