identical messages -- some get bayes score, some don't

Cannon Watts cwatts at elsberry.k12.mo.us
Fri Jan 9 21:37:06 GMT 2009

On Fri, January 9, 2009 5:31 am, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Cannon Watts wrote on Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:22:59 -0600 (CST):
>
>> [2456] dbg: async: starting: URI-DNSBL,
>> DNSBL:dob.sibl.support-intelligence.net:agentbenefitsteam.com
>> (timeout 10.0s, min 2.0s)
>>
>> [2456] dbg: async: starting: URI-NS,
>> NS:agentbenefitsteam.com
>> (timeout 10.0s, min 2.0s)
>>
>> [2456] dbg: async: starting: DNSBL-A,
>> dns:A:154.248.19.72.plus.bondedsender.org.
>> (timeout 10.0s, min 2.0s)
>>
>> [2456] dbg: async: starting: DNSBL-TXT,
>> dns:TXT:154.248.19.72.bl.spamcop.net.
>> (timeout 10.0s, min 2.0s)
>
> there's a problem with your DNS or caching ns. Until you haven't solved
> that better disable network tests. Even after you are ok again you may
> want to disable some of these tests as they are not worth it.

Probably getting beyond the scope of this list, but any tips on debugging
this?  This particular box is running its own caching DNS that, prior to
seeing that debugging info, I would have said works perfectly.  Dozens of
clients on our local network use that DNS server without a problem, not
to mention the fact that sendmail on this same machine has no DNS problems.

How would I go about disabling 'some of these tests'?  set skip_rbl_checks
in /etc/mamil/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf?

>> And perhaps most importantly:
>> [2456] dbg: locker: safe_lock: trying to get lock on
>> /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes with 10 timeout
>
> check the permissions, look for existing lock files and remove them.
> Apparently, this didn't happen for all messages. So, check messages one by
> one and see if it then still happens. Maybe there's a performance problem?

I don't understand how permissions could be an issue given the
circumstances.  SpamAssassin is running as root, and all of these messages
are in the same mailbox -- it's not as if they're owned by different users.

I did run each message separately through spamassassin -D.  This time they
all received Bayes scores, with 15 scoring BAYES_50 and 13 scoring BAYES_60.
All of them generated the dns timeouts, but only 19 of the 28 generated the
bayes timeout.

I don't see any suspicious lock files, but then I'm not sure what I'm
looking for.

I suppose there could be a performance problem, but considering I just
moved   this server from a 933 Mhz Pentium with less than a gig of ram
(where it
was working reasonably well) to a 2 GHz quad-core w/ 4 GB of RAM and 15k
rpm disks (where I've never seen the system load go over 0.5), I tend to
look elsewhere first.

Thanks for your help thus far, any additional assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Cannon Watts