Stops after RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET

Joe Garvey garvey at pushormitchell.com
Thu Jan 8 23:03:29 GMT 2009

I have been using MailScanner for about 4 years now but recently I have
been having some major problems with MailScanner/SA detecting spam.

It almost seems as though it stops checking after the system does a
lookup on bl.spamcop.net. If there is a positive score for
RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET then it seems as though the system stops any
other checks. The score is usually 2.188 as defined in
/usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf.

I have also tried to increase this score by placing the following rule
in /etc/mail/spamassassin/custom.cf but it does not increase the value
score   RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET  5.5

I upgraded to MailScanner 4.74.13 and SA 3.2.5 and it did not make a
difference.

My gut feeling is that I am missing something somewhere and have been
staring at it to long.

Any suggestions as to where to look next?

Thanks

Joe Garvey
Information Technology Manager
Email: garvey at pushormitchell.com