MailScanner --lint error

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Jan 7 12:14:12 GMT 2009

m>

Greg J. McGreevy wrote on Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:55:01 -0500:

> followed this one below that Julian sent me did not miss anything
> with the exception of the Rules de jour which was not in my version
> and I have since undone all of the entries.

The rules du jour was missing because you never added it and as it was the
old method of getting some updated third-party rules that's perfectly okay.
But you must have added some wrong stuff either to MailScanner.conf or to a
ruleset file to get that error message, incorrect rules in
spamassassin.prefs.conf wouldn't throw that.

> Yes huge problem with this open source stuff is the piss poor documentation

I disagree. Both MailScanner and SA are documented quite good. But
administering a mail/mail scanning server is a complex task, so there's no
simple step-by-step tutorial available as each setup is slightly different.
As for extra rules I just removed most extra rules from my setups as they are
catching too few and are not worth it anymore. Especially the SARE rules are
out-dated.

So, after removal of all changes, does your MS work basically now?

> I would like some help let me know when you are avaialable

I'll mail you.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany