Spamassassin timeouts - Just an observation

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Sat Jan 3 02:34:05 GMT 2009

Steve Campbell wrote:

> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>> 2009/1/2 Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>:
>>
>>> Just got back from the holidays, so my reply is a little overdue.

>>> The machines are all Dell PowerEdge servers. There are three servers
>>> involved. Two are well equipped. One is just used as an interface for
>>> our
>>> webmail users. Not a lot going through it.

>>> No, I haven't, but I will. I have reviewed it before, but will look
>>> to see
>>> if anything has changed or been added.

>>> Nothing at all.
>>>
>>> I would think that if something were causing these that were DNS or RBL
>>> related, it would show for most all of the batches, not just random
>>> batches.
>>> So I am guessing it is either network clutter or something else. I just
>>> don't know yet. But still, there is the situation where this all
>>> started to
>>> happen after an upgrade. I'm going to review in the upgraded conf
>>> files and
>>> see if I've missed something.
>>>
>>> I have reduced the number of children on all machines from 5 to 3.
>>> This has
>>> reduced the total of timeouts - which sort of points to machine
>>> capacity. I
>>> only use 10 messages per batch. The main machines have 1 GB of RAM. The
>>> actual number of emails going through MS is quite low; around 10K, but I
>>> have quite a large access file, and the number of emails getting to the
>>> machines are closer to 25k+.
>>>

>>> Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I'll keep digging and maybe find
>>> something.
>>>
>>> steve
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

>> Steve
>>
>> 1GB ram is pretty minimal for SA...depends what third party rules you
>> got, but I'd consider increasing ram.
>>
>> I presume you've got a local caching nameserver and you've dropped
>> most of the RBL's by giving them a zero score. Also trying using
>> opendns as your forward query servers which can operate lot quicker
>> than alot of ISP's DNS.
>>

> Martin,
>
> I see in 'top' that I am very thin on RAM at times, but it still doesn't
> definitively explain the randomness of the timeouts. We run our own DNS
> servers, and I use a caching nameserver on each server. We also use
> OpenDNS for certain purposes, but not mailserver instances.
>
> I guess the problem is more about the randomness. I don't think the
> upgrade of MS would have caused such a large difference. I was running
> SA 3 before and after the upgrade, so there shouldn't have been  a large
> increase there.  Now there could have been a big difference in the way
> SA was acting, but I'm not aware (ignorant is probably a better
> adjective for my knowledge) of any great changes.

Well, the randomness can be simply caused by swapping.  For some reason,
  a system loads a little more in RAM that what your RAM can take, and
it starts swapping.  As Martin said, 1 G is minimal for a
MailScanner/SA/AV system.  Increasing your batch sizes to 30 may also
help.  But the first think I'd do is add another GB of ram.