MailScanner Digest, Vol 38, Issue 31

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:47:41 GMT 2009

2009/2/26 Paulo Roncon <paulo-m-roncon at ptinovacao.pt>:

> I'm tunning a mailscanner+sendmail+clamav+spamassassin server and I'm having some questions:
> Do you use extra SA rules? After googling it seems that the extra rules out there(SARE, KAM, SOUGHT) are not up-to-date...
> Should I use several RBLS? Should I use them in the MTA, in mailscanner ou in SA?
> Dispite all the extras and tunning I'm still getting some SPAM... How can I fight it?
> What SA Score do you use? And High Spam Score?
> Do you use MCP?
>
> Thank You all!
>

> Paulo Roncon

Hi

have you read mailscanner wiki article on "getting the most out of
spamassassin"? This should point you in the right direction.

I've found theSARE less effective than they were, but still useful.

KAM and sought are useful.

as for the scores 5 and 10 seem popular.

perhaps you can put an example up (via pastebin) of an email (headers
and all) that was miss classified and someone can run it over their
system and see how that scores so pointers can be given for any extra
rules or tuning.

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK