Mail auto translation plugin?

Remco Barendse mailscanner at barendse.to
Thu Feb 26 11:54:50 GMT 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Alex Neuman wrote:

> How could you tell if the language was chinese, japanese or russian? From the codepages? What about UTF?

The character encoding would be one pointer, on the other hand,
in translate.google.com you can select "Detect language" which works
quite nicely for the languages i need (Japanese, Chinese and Russian).

To do it perfectly one could consider to including a list of common key
words used in each language. Greetings are one, the salutations at the
end are another, pretty much every non-spam e-mail will have that, and
these are unique to a language. However this would be already thinking
about a rock-solid Rolls Royce class plug-in.

I know building such a plugin that works on only one translation source is
pretty thin but no other mail package has such a feature. I guess if the
plugin will be ready enthusiasm and interest from the community will
explode :)  No idea however how google might react to it once you start
to invoke a nice load on their translation servers :) My mail volume
will be low, about 100 messages a day.

My experience with scripting, procmail, programming etc. is about as much
as my available free time, 0,0 :)

Let me know if you have any possibility to put something like that
together.

Thanks!