"too big for spam checks"

Paul Lamb pal at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 19:14:11 GMT 2009

I have noticed a number of MailScanner messages in /var/log/messages
of the form:-

MailScanner: Message <number> from ... is too big for spam check

Such messages are dropped which I find surprising as the comments in
MailScanner.conf against Max Spam Check Size include:-
         # ...if a message is bigger than a certain size, it
         # is highly unlikely to be spam. Limiting this saves
         # a lot of time checking huge messages.

This suggests to me that larger messages should be accepted. (I believe
that this was the case with the last versions of
MailScanner/Spamassassin that I used).

The few messages to the list about this error message do not explicitly
answer these two questions:-

Do we expect messages larger than Max Spam Check Size to be accepted
or dropped?

Is there another parameter involved in addition to
         Max Spam Check Size   = 200M
         Max SpamAssassin Size = 200k

I am running MailScanner version 4.72.5 and Spamassassin version 3.2.4

Thanks,
Paul