Kind of OT: guess what I found!

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 11:24:39 GMT 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Julian Field wrote:

> On 21/2/09 00:43, Scott Silva wrote:
>> [...]
>> For some reason Julian's posts are not making it to the gmane archive.
>> Jules,
>> are you setting an x-no-archive header or something?
>>
>> I guess I won't see his response.... That's kind of a paradox!
>>
> As far as I am aware there are no special or strange headers in my posts, I
> just send them using Thunderbird, nothing clever. (currently using Shredder
> 3.0b3pre).

I wonder whether if might be the "Message-ID" in Julian's emails?

Here are some of the headers.  The 'Message-ID' is wrapped ("folded" in
RFC822 terminology), contains spaces, commas and a tab;  the tab is
probably the result of the folding.  RFC822 suggests that 'msg-id'
should be "<" addr-spec ">".  (As I read it, if its syntax wouldn't be a
valid email address, then it wouldn't be a valid 'msg-id' either.)

Chasing down the syntax from there suggests that such a 'Message-ID' would
seem borderline at best; my suspicion is that it is beyond the borders.
Even if such a Message-ID is technically legal, the "be conservative in
what you send" principle might suggest considering a revision.