Problem with mailscanner after upgrading to newest (filename checks)

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 09:51:23 GMT 2009

On 11/2/09 16:16, Steve Campbell wrote:

> jonas at vrt.dk wrote:
>>
>> Hi list
>>

>> I got a problem after upgrading to latest mailscanner:
>>

>> scanner0 MailScanner[30533]: Spam Checks completed at 11761 bytes per
>> second
>>
>> scanner0 MailScanner[30533]: Filename Checks: Filename contains lots
>> of white space (1LWooQ-0004kj-1j              195752.pdf)
>>
>> scanner0 MailScanner[30533]: Other Checks: Found 1 problems
>>

>> This looks a bit weird to me, is that how it normally looks? A msgid
>> and then a filename without any commas or anything?
>>

>> My issue is that mailwatch, the reports etc all report the filename
>> as being:
>>

>> Mailwatch:
>>
>> MailScanner: A long gap in a name is often used to hide part of it
>> (195752.pdf)
>>

>> Report: MailScanner: A long gap in a name is often used to hide part
>> of it
>>
>> (195752.pdf)
>>

>> In both places the filename does not apaer to contain spaces.

MailScanner (and MailWatch) sanitise the filenames before reporting
them, as passing untrusted data to the output of any system is a very
bad idea. So the filenames you see in the reports will have had long
strings of spaces removed, and various other massaging techniques to
ensure that no security vulnerabilities are introduced by reporting the
original name of the attachment.

It has always done this, ever since version 1.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?