Problem with mailscanner after upgrading to newest (filename checks)

jonas at vrt.dk jonas at vrt.dk
Wed Feb 11 15:35:19 GMT 2009

Hi list

I got a problem after upgrading to latest mailscanner:

scanner0 MailScanner[30533]: Spam Checks completed at 11761 bytes per second

scanner0 MailScanner[30533]: Filename Checks: Filename contains lots of
white space (1LWooQ-0004kj-1j              195752.pdf)

scanner0 MailScanner[30533]: Other Checks: Found 1 problems

This looks a bit weird to me, is that how it normally looks? A msgid and
then a filename without any commas or anything?

My issue is that mailwatch, the reports etc all report the filename as
being:

Mailwatch:

MailScanner: A long gap in a name is often used to hide part of it
(195752.pdf)

The email report:

One or more of the attachments (195752.pdf) are on

the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and will not have

been delivered.

Consider renaming the files to avoid this constraint.

The virus detector said this about the message:

Report: MailScanner: A long gap in a name is often used to hide part of it

(195752.pdf)

In both places the filename does not apaer to contain spaces.

Let me dump some maybe related config vars:

Running on

Linux scanner0 2.6.18-6-686-bigmem #1 SMP Fri Dec 12 17:49:59 UTC 2008 i686
GNU/Linux

This is Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)

This is MailScanner version 4.74.16

Module versions are:

1.00    AnyDBM_File

1.26    Archive::Zip

0.23    bignum

1.04    Carp

1.41    Compress::Zlib

1.119   Convert::BinHex

0.17    Convert::TNEF

2.121_08        Data::Dumper

2.27    Date::Parse

1.00    DirHandle

1.05    Fcntl

2.74    File::Basename

2.09    File::Copy

2.01    FileHandle

2.07    File::Path

0.21    File::Temp

0.92    Filesys::Df

3.57    HTML::Entities

3.59    HTML::Parser

3.57    HTML::TokeParser

1.23    IO

1.14    IO::File

1.13    IO::Pipe

2.04    Mail::Header

1.89    Math::BigInt

0.22    Math::BigRat

3.07    MIME::Base64

5.427   MIME::Decoder

5.427   MIME::Decoder::UU

5.427   MIME::Head

5.427   MIME::Parser

3.07    MIME::QuotedPrint

5.427   MIME::Tools

0.11    Net::CIDR

1.25    Net::IP

0.16    OLE::Storage_Lite

1.04    Pod::Escapes

3.07    Pod::Simple

1.09    POSIX

1.19    Scalar::Util

1.78    Socket

2.18    Storable

1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long

0.27    Sys::Syslog

1.26    Test::Pod

0.86    Test::Simple

1.9715  Time::HiRes

1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:

1.42    Archive::Tar

0.23    bignum

2.03    Business::ISBN

20081208        Business::ISBN::Data

1.12    Data::Dump

1.814   DB_File

1.14    DBD::SQLite

1.607   DBI

1.15    Digest

1.01    Digest::HMAC

2.38    Digest::MD5

2.11    Digest::SHA1

1.01    Encode::Detect

0.17015 Error

0.24    ExtUtils::CBuilder

2.19    ExtUtils::ParseXS

2.37    Getopt::Long

0.45    Inline

1.08    IO::String

1.04    IO::Zlib

2.25    IP::Country

missing Mail::ClamAV

3.002005        Mail::SpamAssassin

v2.006  Mail::SPF

1.999001        Mail::SPF::Query

0.3     Module::Build

0.20    Net::CIDR::Lite

0.63    Net::DNS

v0.003  Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable

0.39    Net::LDAP

 4.021  NetAddr::IP

1.94    Parse::RecDescent

missing SAVI

3.14    Test::Harness

1.22    Test::Manifest

2.0.0   Text::Balanced

1.37    URI

0.76    version

0.68    YAML

scanner0:/opt/MailScanner/etc#

In conf I got:

Expand TNEF = yes

Use TNEF Contents = replace

TNEF Expander = internal

Let me know if anybody can think of stuff I can try to fix this. If its an
issue at all. I guess my real question is how can I know if the attachment
had many whitespaces or not?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Jonas Akrouh Larsen

TechBiz ApS