unpackole() is causing mailscanner to hang

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Feb 10 16:56:10 GMT 2009

on 2-10-2009 4:11 AM ram spake the following:
> I have had this issue before too
> http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2008-September/087106.html
>

> MailScanner just hangs extracting attachments
> Nailed the function that causes this
>
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm
> inside function UnpackOle()
>
> --
> return 1 unless $tree = $ole->getPpsTree(1); # (1) => Get Data too
> --
>

> For a particular mail (of 1MB ) this function call never returns. Even
> on a 3GB Ram server the machine goes out of memory !!!. Just with
> MailScanner
>
> I guess I just need to skip the unpackOle call.

Maybe Julian can code a timeout into it if others have problems.
Is the message spam, or ham? If spam, maybe you can find something common in
it that you can catch earlier and avoid the problem.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and