MailScanner suddenly stopped working and screwed up everything

jan gestre ipcopper.ph at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 13:58:08 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:50 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 2-6-2009 5:28 AM jan gestre spake the following:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I've several mail servers running (postfix + dovecot + mysql +
>> mailscanner) that has been up for a long time now and suddenly it
>> stopped working one by one. It began by users experiencing bouncing
>> emails even though the user exist then it became worst, all emails is
>> now being tagged as spam even those from yahoo and gmail. I suspect
>> MailScanner might be causing the issue so I turned it off but the
>> server keep on rejecting emails because of postfix's
>> smtpd_client_restrictions rule that blocks emails if it came from an
>> ip address listed on spamhaus.org, but after disabling that parameter
>> emails from sites like yahoo and gmail still gets blocked according to
>> postfix it's listed in sbl-xbl list, I know for a fact that this
>> shouldn't suppose to happen but it did. Anybody ever experienced this?
>> What's the workaround, I'm stumped, I have no idea why it suddenly got
>> screwed.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Jan
> On the problem server try this;
>
> host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
>
> If you get a timeout, either you are blacklisted, or your DNS resolution has
> problems.

# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org has address 127.0.0.4
2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org has address 127.0.0.2
2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org has address 127.0.0.10

As you can see there's no timeout, it seems that no matter what rbl I
use all emails are blocked, the only workaround right now is to turn
off spam checks both at MTA level and MailScanner, caveat is of
course, spam.